This temple is situated in Coromandel between two rivers, Cauvery in south, coleroon in North. It is one of the five element shrines or Pancha Bootha sthalams and is renowned for the worship of lord Siva as representing the element of water (appulinga)
As an Elephant was blessed here after worshipping here, this temple came to be known as ‘Thiruvanaikka’. As Lord Siva is seated below Jambu tree at this temple, it got its name Jambukeswaram. When Goddess Ahilandeswari penanced here, Lord Siva satisfied by her prayer blessed her. For this reason this temple is also known as Gnanashethram.
A spider, which worshipped Lord Jambukeswarar in its previous life, was blessed to born as Kochengat cholan in its next birth. He constructed this temple about 2500 years ago. Uma Deviyar, Thirumal, Brahman, Attathikku Balakhar, Attavasukkal, Jambu Munivar, Gowthamar, Aghasthiyar, a spider known as Gananatharul maliyavan, an elephant named Pushbadhanthan, Suryan and Chandran attained glory by worshipping at this temple.
Thirugnana Sambanthar, Appar, Sundarar, Arunagirinathar, Iyyadigal kadawarkon, Thayumanavar have enchanted the glory of Lord Jambukeswarar in theirliterary works. Goddess blessed poet Kalamega Pulavar with the talent to write poems at this temple.
This temple is endowed with 5 praharams.(corridor) As lord Siva himself built the 5th praharam, appearing in the form of Spider, it is known as ‘Thiruneettan thirumathil’. It is here lord Siva blessed a spider and elephant to attain moksha.
Monolithic stone pillars (made from single stone) are found in the mandapam, situated at the entrance of Aariyavittan tower in 3rd Praharam. Stone chains and 12 zodiac signs are beautifully carved on these pillars. Pillars found in 1000 pillar hall and in various parts of temple have artistic sculptural works. Temple cars In the year1910, 2 big temple cars were made for god & goddess. ‘Coratham’(used for procession) and several wooden Vahanas are present in this temple. Inscriptions 156 Inscriptions have been found at this temple. Inscriptions of King Madurai konda Parakesari varman paranthaka cholan is the oldest among them. Informations about renovations and wealth of this temple are found in these inscriptions
Benefits of worshipping at this temple:
Devotees worshipping here are blessed both in this birth and in next birth.One who worships Goddess Ahilandeswari will be blessed with good education and intelligence, marrige and wishes for child are fulfilled. By coming around the fifth divine wall known as "Thiruneetran thirumathil one with gets fulfilled.
|Ushakkala Pooja||-||6.30 A.M to 7.30 A.M|
|Kaalasandhi Pooja||-||8.00 A.M to 8.45 A.M|
|Uchikkala Pooja||-||11.00 A.M to 12.00 P.M|
|Saayaraksha Pooja||-||5.00 P.M to 5.45 P.M|
|Ardhajama Pooja||-||9.00 P.M|
Holy Water Points
- Sreemath Theertham: This is nothing but the water spring oozing inside the Sanctorum of Lord Shiva.
- Rama Theertham: This is outside the temple. Just directly opposite to the temple across the G.S.T Road. You can see this on the way to the Srirangam. This is where the “Thai Poosam theppam” festival is celebrated. This Theertham is full of beautiful Lotus flower plants.
- Chandra Theertham
- Agni Theertham: This is the well in the South East corner of 3rd Praharam. Just opposite on the side of Vasantha Mandapam and temple Nandhavanam.
- Indira Theertham: This is in the 3rd Praharam opposite to Kasi Viswanatha Swami sannathi.
- Akasthiya Theertham
- Jambu Theertham: This is in the South West 3rd Praharam near the old Jambukeshwara temple (Opposite to Sangareshwarar temple and opposite to Kubera Linga).
- Surya Theertham: This is in the South West corner of the 4th praharam. Just opposite to the 1000 pillar mandapam. This Tank is architecturally beautifully built with two stories of Mandapams around the tank. Each mandapam built with 100 pillars. “Theppam” festival is celebrated in this tank in the Tamil month “Aadi” on “Pooram” day (the day when the star is Pooram, which is the star of Akilandeswari).
- Brahmma Theertham: This is in the South side of 4th Praharam (South Car Street) Agamam, Magudagamam, Karanagamam.
- Sacred Tree: White Jambu tree
- Vaikasi: Vasantha Urchavam (10 days).
- Aadi: Aadipuram festival (10 days),Aadi Friday is celebrated.
- Purattasi: Navarathiri festival (10 days).
- Thai: Thai Poosam, Thai theppam (Float) festival Special poojas are performed during Fridays of Thai month.
- Panguni: Brahmotchavam (40 days).
- Car festival: Car festival and Panchaprakara festival are important festivals.